Re:Decomissioning problem

There's alot of info you need to provide to get help with your question, but
maybe this will help. Radon has an affinity for plastic, nylon, polyester
etc. not aluminum. I've taken many wipes on aluminum componants while woking
on a D&D and saw no chemiluminescence using Packard's Ultima Gold in the 0-6
kev range, reguardless you should be able to view the spectrum while your
counting. Compare this spectrum with that of a known source. What energy
range is the LSC looking at? You can get some idea of what's there by
knowing it's energy(remember 1/3 emax). What's your release limit. If you
can identify the isotope <1000 dpm/100cm2 maybe releaseable. You said your
levels were 300 to 1000 this may be a non-problem. Do a half-life
determination, if the half-life is long enough to send a sample to a lab
have an alpha spec and low energy beta analysis done and gamma spec that
will identify your culprit, if the half-life is short remove the componants
from the area and wait it out. If the aluminum was reactor componants are
you sure your not seeing leeching over the long haul. I am suprised that the
componants are aluminum I would of thought Stainless. Looks like you could
use some help, for the right diem and $ I'm available