Dirty electricity

COAL FIRED POWER PLANTS EMITTING CLOUDS OF TOXICS

WASHINGTON, DC, August 15, 2000 (ENS) - Pollution from electrical
generation facilities is more dangerous than the utilities say, claims a
U.S. environmental group. Utilities have historically downplayed their
emissions and claimed that they have minimal or no impact on health or
the environment.
For full text and graphics visit:
http://ens.lycos.com/ens/aug2000/2000L-08-15-06.html

Interestingly, on the news-talk radio this morning, I heard an ad from a
group called "Balanced Power."  When you look at their web site
http://www.balancedpower.org you find the coal industry perspective.
Their state profiles give the energy mix of each state vs. the national
mix, also the average prices.  Nuclear power is noted as causing higher
energy prices.

As a geomorphologist and hydrogeologist by education, I have strong
objections to use of coal, not only because of the emissions, but
because of the irreversable wholesale alterations of the landscape and
acid pollution of streams and groundwater.

It looks like the controversy is "heating up."  Energy isn't free, and
even "green" energy has its drawbacks, the chief one being that it often
isn't being generated when it's really needed.

My opinions only,
Susan Gawarecki
--
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee