Re: Uranium Uptake Above 10 CFR 20 Limit

          Don't Uranium intake levels BELOW the mass limit of 10 mg/wk also
          need to be taken seriously too?  Doesn't it depends of the
          solubility of the substance?

          The notice provided a derived uranium intake (29 mg).  The
          derivation of that intake was, I assume, from applying some model
          to urine data to back calculate that intake value.  Depending on
          your assumptions about the solubility of the material you can get
          a variety of answers.

          My comments had/have nothing to do with passing judgment on the
          licensee (you went to far).  They were aimed at understanding why
          ONLY a soluble limit applied (or was used for comparison) to a
          relatively insoluble compound (U3O8).

          Is to possible to exceed a committed dose limit from a regulatory
          standpoint for a class Y material before any nephrotoxic limit is
          reached?  I agree urine can be an "INDICATOR" of an exposure,
          however, a more detailed evaluation should be undertaken to
          determine IF an exposure requires regulatory reporting.

          ANYONE:   What is the committed dose from an inhalation intake of
          29 mg of class Y uranium (assume 1 micron particle size)

          Bill you have taken my comment(s) beyond my intended point of
          discussion.

          I'll end my comments and contributions to this thread here.

          William A. Lorenzen