From: Joel Baumbaugh [mailto:baumbaug@nosc.mil]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 8:32 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Cold Fusion

RADSAFERS,

         Without going into (perhaps propriatory) details, research was
performed by the U.S. Navy to try and validate the claims of "cold fusion"
after Drs. Fleischman and Pons claimed excess power densities of 20 Watts
per cubic centimeter of palladium in 1989.  While many of the claimed
results could not be duplicated, one anomaly, excess tritium, appeared to
be produced in experiment after careful experiment and could not be
"explained" away... Go figure....

         Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
         SSC-SD

  At 09:43 AM 08/15/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Group,
>
>Just what was the verdict on cold fusion?  I got the impression that the
>bulk of that branch of the scientific community felt it was sloppy
>technique.  But information just kind of receded into the back ground, I
>assume as the efforts to replicate the experiments failed.
>
>Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those
>of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the
>U.S. Government.
>
>Peter G. Vernig
>Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO
>80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
>303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate
>vernig.peter@forum.va.gov] Fax 303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate
>Fax 303-377-5686
>
>"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is
>pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be
>excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."    Paul

Joel T. Baumbaugh
Joel T. Baumbaugh, MPH, MHP
baumbaug@nosc.mil
Radiation Safety Officer
SSC-San Diego, CA, USA

         NOTE:   The contents of this message have not been reviewed, nor
approved by the Federal Government, the U.S. Navy, my bosses or my wife...
remember: You are not just a number to this government agency. You are
three numbers, a dash, two more numbers, another dash, and four more
numbers.

         This week is dedicated to Chickens: The only animals you eat
before they are born and after they are dead.