RE: What is Weapons Grade - CANDU

You asked,

	I'm not an expert, but doesn't CANDU reactors use U-238?  I believe
if they do use U-238 to generate electricity, then I would assume this to be
a chain reaction leading to a sustained criticality.

	U-238 may not be suitable for atomic weapons use, but it is
acceptable for nuclear power plant power generation purposes.

correct - CANDU uses natural uranium (with 0.71% U235).
The point is that it also breeds quite a lot of RGPu in the process, by way
of the neutron capture by U238, without fission, yielding Pu239, then 240,
241, etc. with additional n-captures (though most Pu burns up in-situ).
Recommend you check out Jeremy's posting at URL
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cz725/cnf.htm#x2

Jaro