The VDT Problem Solved (I think)

A couple of weeks ago I asked for advice on what was causing elevated
readings to show up on regular old computer monitor screens. The answer was
so simple it was right under my nose (literally!) - K-40. Those of us not
working in the glass industry, and that probably includes most of us on this
listserv, may not be aware that many glass manufacturers use potash, or
potassium carbonate, as an alkali ingredient in the glass mixture. Alkali
serves to lower the melting point of the silica or whatever they use as the
main ingredient. So, just as a banana is radioactive, so are many of our
computer screens! I hope I haven't planted a new fear in society by
revealing this information. But maybe it'll give all the activists something
new to focus their radioactive worries on for a while.

Elizabeth Algutifan, CHP
Bechtel Jacobs Company LLC
ETTP
Oak Ridge, TN