RE: A real solution

I'll deny it (at least for CANDU fuel, which is unenriched in U-235 and
U-234).  I've seen a variation of this factoid before, and it may be
confusing radioactivity with some attribute of the fuel other than its
activity.  Unat, even assuming elemental U, which fuel isn't, has a specific
activity (normalized to elemental Unat) of about 12.4 MBq/kg for each of 4
nuclides (U-238, Th-234, Pa-234m, and U-234), and about 0.576 MBq/kg for
each of  2 other nuclides (U-235 and Th-231).  Spent CANDU fuel after 1000
years has a specific activity of more than 2E4 MBq/kg.

Bruce Heinmiller CHP
heinmillerb@aecl.ca