Re: A real solution

	If number of cancer doses is the index used, the time after which
these are equal to the uranium originally mined is 15,000 years for
reprocessed high level waste and 120,000 years for spent fuel. This is for
ingestion. If radon effects are taken into account, mining uranium out of
the ground is a great life saving activity, saving hundreds of lives per
GWe-year whereas buried waste kills far less than one. All of this is
based on linear-no threshold theory and probabilistic risk assessment.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260