Re: A real solution

>I am curious, though, about the composition of spent fuel (not my
>field).  What are the shorter half-life isotopes of concern (say those
>that will be mostly gone within 300 years) vs. the very-long half-live
>ones, and their relative proportions?

Some years ago I was told by someone whose opinions I respect that the
oft-used 10,000 year worry period is way off and that spent fuel will decay
to being no more radioactive than the original unirradiated fuel in about
300 years. I have not tested this assertion and haven't seen any other
calculations of this sort. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? Might
there be a reference on this?