Re: A real solution

Hi All,

What I remember from my days fighting the Anti-Nukes in Switzerland, it takes
between 600 and 900 years (depending on the reprocessing method used) for the
health risk posed by the activity in a spent fuel element to decay to that of
an ore that you could find in Switzerland.  And there are no useful fissile
ores in Switzerland.  I remember there were a lot of exposure assumptions in
that risk calculation, but it may help you get an idea, in particular that this
time is not measured in multiples of 25,000 years!

Best regards

Fritz

Bob Flood wrote:

> ...oft-used 10,000 year worry period is way off and that spent fuel will
> decay
> to being no more radioactive than the original unirradiated fuel in about
> 300 years. I have not tested this assertion and haven't seen any other
> calculations of this sort. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? Might
> there be a reference on this?--

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.
Sigma Five Consulting
P.O. Box 1709