RE: A real solution

It does make sense.  The recent increase in gasoline prices also shows that we can be held hostage by the OPEC.  All oil burning, gas, and coal power stations will have to charge more for there electric production.  In a recent report it was estimated that natural gas prices will increase by 50% in the US this coming winter, even though processing currently is at 94% (+ or - a percent).  The US has an abundance of uranium compared to the rest of the world - my question is why not the is the US building nuclear power plants now - to insure a strong economic future?  There is something wrong with this picture - If the individual pays more for fuel - there is less to spend on other things, which means some people will be out of work.  Thank you fellow radsafers for letting me spout - Germany and the greens are making a huge mistake.  I have worked with radiation for years and I know it is safe if used wisely. - Tom
--

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:18:15   Minnema, Douglas wrote:
>Mike and all,
>
>I attended an ANS Reactor Physics meeting a couple months ago, and the
>keynote speaker was the president of Westinghouse (btw, he's a nuclear
>engineer).  After his talk, he was asked about reprocessing, and his answer
>was simple: with the current low cost of uranium fuel, and (get this!) the
>projected low cost of disposal of spent fuel, it was not cost-effective to
>start up a reprocessing plant at this time, even if allowed by law. Simple
>economics and nothing more.  Even with the cost of disposal included, the
>per kW-hour cost of nuclear was about the lowest of any viable option.
>(Sorry, but I cannot remember the exact number now, and I am away from home
>as usual, so no notes to refer to.)
>
>It's the economics that will make the decision for us.  The public, the
>government, and the companies all vote with their wallets.  As nuclear
>continues to improve its reliability and availablity, and continues to
>demonstrate its safety, the costs will become the defining factor as the
>costs of other options continue to increase.
>
>Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
>Defense Programs, DOE
><Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>
>
>what few thoughts i have are truly my own...

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com