Re: New Zealand Rules Info

Patrick

I will provide details of NZ regulatory requirements to you directly.
There are some thoriated lenses in the country and one we did measurements
on some time ago had a surface dose rate about 6 times what you have
measured, suggesting the Th concentration in your lens is not too high.  I
would be interested to know whether you operate under any regulatory
controls on these lenses.

Andrew McEwan
_____________________
Andrew C McEwan PhD
National Radiation Laboratory
PO Box 25-099
Christchurch, New Zealand

Ph 64 3 366 5059
Fax 64 3 366 1156
Andrew_McEwan@nrl.moh.govt.nz

I have researchers who will be transporting a small lens from the W.W.II
era
that contains thorium through New Zealand.  They are concerned as to what
the rules are for this type of radioactive material.  Can anyone help me
out?  The lens is about 15 cm in diameter and less than that in thickness.
It reads less than 1 mrad on contact.  I do not currently know the exact
concentration of thorium in the glass.  Does anyone know the applicable New
Zealand rules or where I can find them?

Patrick S. Muldoon, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
NASA-Ames Research Center
M/S 19-21
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
Voice: (650) 604-3233 Fax: (650) 604-2034
pmuldoon@mail.arc.nasa.gov