Re: Barents Sea/Techa River

>into the source of activity in the Barents Sea?  For instance, why would
>the reprocessing plants have more impact than the Techa River or the past
>sea disposal of radioactive waste by the Soviet navy.
---
According to one source which I am uncertain about - it may be the ref. I
mention below - radioactivity was detected at the outlet of the Ob River
(Techa leads to Ob) around 1950-1951 and this stimulated the construction of
the delay dams, the rearrangement of the water system connected to the
Asamow swamp in the Techa area, as well as the dumping into the Lake
Karachay.

Now where is the radioactivity that entered the Arctic waters via Ob - if it
indeed did so? I have previously asked a few scientists (who are more into
radioecology than I) this question - the answer I get is "it must be locked
into sediments" - most of it already in the sediments of the river systems.
Concerning the radioactive waste dumpings around (and probably mainly East
of) Novaya Zemlya it is probably not leaking (yet?). Novaya Zemlya
translates to "new earth" if my amateur Russian isn't wrong...

I am sure that some of our Norwegian or Russian Radsafers collegues could
shed more light on this since they have been collaborating in the efforts to
understand the character of the contamination of the Mayak area (There is a
"Joint Norwegian-Russian Expert Group for Investigation of Radioactive
Contamination in the Northern Areas" - their 134 page report was published
in 1997: "Sources contribution to radioactive contamination of the Techa
River and areas surrounding the "Mayak" production association, Urals,
Russia" signed by the Minister of Environment in Norway).

This is an important topic because there is a potential for more
radioactivity coming from the Mayak area including slow leakage via the
groundwater. The strontium 90 levels are for instance still very high in the
ground water around Karachay (many thousands of Bq per liter a few miles
away from the lake). Much radioactivity is found in the soil - probably to
some part of "peat" character, that is to say carboxyl groups from decaying
Sphagnum sp. (may work as ion exchangers to delay the radioactivity) next to
Techa. OK, must rush.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/