Re: Ring dosimeter problems

Bruce,
     Try cutting the "ring" prongs off and taping the dosimeter to the
workers' fingers.  I have seen this done at many plants around the country.
Make sure you retain all the numbers and such for accountability.  An
alternate (and less comfortable method) would be to tape the whole ring to
the palm of the hand.  Both of these choices assume your workers are
wearing gloves.  I also know that there are venders out there who make soft
PVC rings with Velcro fasteners.  Try Landauer or Panasonic.

Good luck!
Phil Barringer/ KDHE
"My opinions, not the state's"

Hi all,

We are having a problem with some of our ring dosimeters. Several of our
Texans here have huge fingers, and they either can not wear or while
wearing, frequently break our dosimeter vendor's largest ring dosimeters.

My question is what are other facilities doing about this? Are there
dosimetry providers with ex-large ring dosimeters? Any comments can be sent
to me. Thanks!

Bruce Busby, Senior Health Physicist
International Isotopes, Inc.
E-mail: bbusby@intiso.com