Re: Anyone hear of "flawed rad detectors"...

While I don't have any data regarding the assertion that the beta and
neutron dose may be underestimated by as much as a factor of 10, I
can state that there is most likely an under-estimation. I can say
this based on my experience with the United Kingdom criteria for
"Approval of Dosimetry Service." We had to explain in extreme details
why it was appropriate for us to utilize a beta correction factor for
not only whole body dosimetry, but for extremity monitoring as well.
The expectation is that the dosimeter should simply report the H(p)10
and H(p).07 dose without any corrections what-so-ever. We provided
data demonstrating that a beta correction, when the energy is known,
provides for SDE dose assessment within +/- 3% or so. Again, it took
months of documents being sent back and forth, for the HSE to accept
our beta correction factors for use for whole body and extremity
dosimetry. We now have the Certificates for "approved Dosimetry
Service" in the U.K.

Therefore, based on our experience, there is some truth in the
article. The degree of truth can't be determined since one would have
to know what dosimetry was used, and who processed the dosimeters.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205