Re: audits/surveys?

         John (and RADSAFERS),

         This subject "should" be in the archives somewhere as I "believe"
that I remember some discussion on it in the past (although it may have
been on another listserver).  Although you requested a reply only to
yourself, I think that I'll reply to the list as I'm "sure" that this will
generate some input and may be of interest to others... If I am in error in
my supposition, than I apologize in advance to all who's mailbox(s) I'm
trashing...jb

At 12:28 PM 8/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>A question for the large university and other broad scope RSOs out there:
>
>How often does your department audit your authorized users?

         John, it depends on the type and amount(s) of radioisotope(s) (and
sometimes chemical forms) used....(and in these days of belt-tightening how
many "qualified" personnel you have to survey the labs).

>How often does your department wipe and/or meter survey their labs?

         It depends on the type and amount(s) of radioisotope(s) used (etc.
above)... At Universities I've worked at (and at my current facility) - 1,
2, 3, 4, or 6 month intervals depending on the above caveats, and the past
"history" of the laboratory (i.e. are they neat/tidy and conscientious or
"pigs").

>How often do your authorized users wipe and/or meter survey their labs?

         It depends on the type and amount(s) of radioisotope(s) used  <-
do you detect a pattern here (grin)? - weekly to twice a year, depending
on......(note the answers to #'s 1 - 3)

>Do you have a system of classifying their labs which may affect the
>frequency of these audits or surveys?  What is the basis for the
>classification?

         Note the answers to #'s 1 - 4 above....

         John, the system in use at UCSD has worked VERY satisfactorily for
close to 20 years.  The actual classification methodology is listed in your
UCSD Radiation Safety Manual and is a part of your Radioactive Materials
License (RSM page II-5).  It gives a Hazard Guide Value (HGV) depending on
how many mCi of a radioisotope is used/year, the "use factor" and the
"relative toxicity factor".  HGV amounts (totals) then give you a
Laboratory Classification A-1 - A-3, B-1 - B-3, C-1 - C-3 (with special
classes for Sealed Sources, Human Use applications and "machines" and then
the lab's final classification (Lab Classification) gives you a #'s of
inspections/yr.  Pretty straight forward.... Most Universities I have
worked at/visited use a "very" similar system.  In fact, UCSD has asked
this very question of other Universities in the past and decided (a) why
re-invent the wheel, because (b) if it isn't broken (ain't broke), why fix
it...?

         Hope this helps,

         Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
         SSC-San Diego