Red Atom, Orphanage for Deformed Children at Tomsk-7

 Group,

I have been reading "Red Atom" Paul Josephson.  [I mentioned that in a
simply tedious but now towards the end of the book, chapters 7 & 8 and the
epilog, a lot of material is being thrown out, about the problems the Soviet
nuclear program has caused, some of which I at least question.  There was a
vague reference to irradiated food wrt to Chernobyl.  It seemed like he
meant contaminated food.

"For days after the explosion, people continued to drink and consume the
local water, juices, sausages, and cucumbers, all of which had been
irradiated.  People got "nuclear tans, " but few imagined the source."
[p258]

There was no indication of what level of contamination, if that's what he
means, in the food or just what is meant by a "nuclear tan".

But my question refers to [page 282]:

"Biological shielding for workers is inadequate.  Tomsk-7 has a special
"orphanage," where a growing number of deformed children born to employee
and resident parents have been left."

That is the end of that reference.  No indication of doses workers are or
may be exposed to.

Has anybody heard of anything like that?  Or have any idea what the
quotation might be referring to?

While we all know radiation is a mutagen, my understanding is that it would
be extremely improbable for there to be significant numbers of mutations
induced at what we consider occupational levels.  My recollection is that
below 50 rem [acute whole body] no affects could be documented in the
Hiroshima and Nagasaki survivors.  I have a hard time believing that Russia
can be allowing exposure of workers in normal occupational settings to
routinely receive  50 rem or more.  That would put them at or over the
threshold for hematapoetic effects.

I have been told that Chernobyl liquidators that received more than 100 rem
are able to be registered and supposed to receive medical treatment for any
eventual health problems.  I find that dose level a little surprising but I
gather things were not well organized or controlled at least initially in
the liquidation.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those
of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the
U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO
80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate
vernig.peter@forum.va.gov] Fax 303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate
Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is
pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be
excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."    Paul