Re: Reducing I-125 counts by filtration

I'm not sure how effective the carbon filter is, but this can be done with Dow AG-1 or Bio-Rad AG-1-X2 resin.  You don't say what kind of liquid you're working with, but we used to extract I-131 from milk this way.  The biggest problem was controlling the flow of milk through the resin - too fast and the extraction was 50% or less.  I have a note that says at 75 ml per minute flow rate the resin retains about 98% of the iodine, but that at 100 ml/min retention is about 70%.  That was based on "ion-exchange" columns made of ½" plastic tubing with 1-2 inches of resin in the column.  Routine sample size was one gallon (4 liter).  Presumably this could be scaled up for larger applications.

Hope this helps,
Tony Harrison, RSO
Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment
Laboratory and Radiation Services Division
(303)692-3046
tony.harrison@state.co.us

>>> JLindsey@DSLabs.com 08/29/00 01:41PM >>>
I recently came across a paper that was written about 8 years ago detailing
how to reduce the counts of liquid I-125 waste by running it thru a carbon
filter (water filter) and then thru a PVC column with resin beads.  The
author claims to have been able to reduce the counts by up to 85%.  Has
anyone every tried this or know of any such commercial systems that do this?
I will try and dig up the article and post more details if anyone is
interested.

John Lindsey
Operations Manager
Diagnostic Systems Laboratories, Inc.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C011F1.5BC54710

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Reducing I-125 counts by filtration</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I recently came across a paper that was written about =
8 years ago detailing how to reduce the counts of liquid I-125 waste by =
running it thru a carbon filter (water filter) and then thru a PVC =
column with resin beads.&nbsp; The author claims to have been able to =
reduce the counts by up to 85%.&nbsp; Has anyone every tried this or =
know of any such commercial systems that do this?&nbsp; I will try and =
dig up the article and post more details if anyone is interested. =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>John Lindsey</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Operations Manager</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Diagnostic Systems Laboratories, Inc.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>