RE: Powernet: Special Handling individuals with lifetime dose gre ater than age

> (2) The current NRC Form 4 Equivalent only requires that an
> individual state what their lifetime dose is, and, unless there is a
> PSE, nothing else need be done (other than an attempt to validate the
> dose - if the licensee can do that).
>
> Actually that's not quite true.  There is no block to list a single
> lifetime dose total on an NRC Form 4 equivalent, only an itemization
> by licensee. Many of us add that "feature" but it's not part of a true
> Form 4 equivalent.

Linda is correct in the above statement with respect to the actual
NRC Form 4. I was however referring to Reg Guide 8.7 which
states that meeting the Reg Guide satisfies all requirements with
respect to 10 CFR 20 requirements (stated right at the end of the
Reg. Guide). It says, and many plants do this, is to accept a
written statement from the individual stating what the lump sum
lifetime dose is, and for that matter, can be scribbled on a napkin,
if the individual so desires, and meets all the regulatory
requirements.

In closing, (and this is directed to the listserver in general, and not
directly to Linda's comments) if we in the industry accept and
implement every recommendation from NCRP, ICRP and
whomever, then "we" all need to stop complaining every time some
"anti-nuclear" individual throws the risk of exposure to radiation at
us. If we accept all recommendations, no matter how conservative
they are, then we must also accept the conclusion that the reason
the public believes the anti's and those regulatory bodies who
promote a very conservative approach to radiation exposure, is
primarily because the actions we take, even when we need not
take them, supports those very claims. Why else would we be so
damn conservative! The statistics of dose and risk are evident, and
the statistics as to who is litigating against us is also quite evident.

We are the cause of our own problems, and we do more harm by
condoning these most ridiculous conservative processes, than the
anti's could ever do to us.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205