RE: Powernet: Special Handling individuals with lifetime dose gre ater than age

The following was Linda's response to me on Powernet. To put my
comments in proper context, Linda's comments are necessary.

Thanks...

> Hi Sandy/All,
>
> Diablo Canyon's lifetime dose program is very simple.  We follow the
> NCRP recommendations.  If a person's lifetime dose has exceeded their
> age in years we limit that individual to 1 Rem at Diablo Canyon per
> year, with no extension process necessary.  If that limit proves too
> restrictive we can process a lifetime dose extension.  That extension
> would require the plant manager's signature.  If the individual is a
> contractor, the extension requires the signature of a high ranking
> individual within the contractors company, as well.  Our lifetime dose
> policy has never resulted in anyone being denied access to our RCA or
> to do the job for which they were assigned.
>
> In answer to Sandy's questions directly:
>
> (1) In light of the fact that there are no regulatory requirements for
> lifetime dose, where is the momentum coming from for licensees to do
> anything with respect to lifetime dose?
>
> I believe it is in Diablo Canyon's best interests to attempt to follow
> the recommendations of the major scientific governing bodies (NCRP and
> ICRP) in our industry.  Our yearly admin guideline is 2 Rem.  We also
> evaluate all dose extensions above that level against a 10 Rem in 5
> year criteria.
>
> (2) The current NRC Form 4 Equivalent only requires that an
> individual state what their lifetime dose is, and, unless there is a
> PSE, nothing else need be done (other than an attempt to validate the
> dose - if the licensee can do that).
>
> Actually that's not quite true.  There is no block to list a single
> lifetime dose total on an NRC Form 4 equivalent, only an itemization
> by licensee. Many of us add that "feature" but it's not part of a true
> Form 4 equivalent.
>
> (3) The NCRP has recommendations regarding lifetime dose. However,
> NCRP, ICRP, ICRU are not regulatory bodies, and in the past most
> licensees frowned upon regulation through guidelines, recommendations,
> etc. So again, where is the push to treat lifetime dose differently,
> coming from?
>
> Attempting to apply and follow consensus science makes sense in
> today's litigious society.
>
> (4) If one looks at the cumulative and individual doses at the US
> nuclear plants over the past decade, the totals have been reduced
> dramatically. Rarely is there an individual over 1 rem in an annual
> period. Therefore, those individuals with lifetime dose > age has to
> be a small population. The majority of the higher dosed individuals,
> have either retired or died. Again, what number of individuals are we
> dealing with, and why?
>
> The population of individuals in this category is small.  Most of the
> individuals that we deal with all work for the major service vendors
> and their administrative programs tend to be more restrictive than
> ours for individuals in this category.
>
> If you have any questions, give me a call.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205