Re: CFC-114

At 06:52 AM 10/3/00 -0500, Cathy Lee wrote:

>It was recently claimed
>in a local newspaper that the gas diffusion
>process for making enriched uranium in two
>process plants released 292 tonnes of CFC-114
>(in 1995). ie nuke power is bad for global warming....
October 3, 2000
Davis, CA

I don't know about a CFC-114 release, but a CFC is not a major "greenhouse
gas", so global warming is not a key issue. However, CFC's rise to the
stratosphere where they are believed to catalyze destruction of the
protective stratospheric ozone layer that absorbs incoming UV radiation
from the sun.

Otto
Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health
(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)
University of California, Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140