Re: Gigatons CO2 vs. radwaste disposal?

Stewart:

In your post you wrote:
"These kinds of comparisons of waste disposal needs between nuclear and
fossil
fuel cycles are necessary for the public and decisionmakers to appreciate in
order that all the various "costs"  [i.e.: externalities in some jargon] of
alternate fuel cycles are factored into societal decisionmaking."

This is the way it should go in a civilized world; I totally agree.  Let me
take you down  memory lane (at least as I recall it) for a moment to recap
(from my viewpoint) our "Waste Disposal Problems" in commercial nuclear.

Recall that in a Light Water Reactor we only use something on the order of
seven to ten percent of the fissionable material in a typical base-load core.
 Efficiency drops off and cost-effectiveness dictates that you change-out
("Refuel") the core.  Recall that the original designs of the LWR's in the
U.S. were developed under the assumption we would reprocess cores to extract
the relatively small amount of high-level waste, "re-matrix" (re-process) the
core, then use the fuel in another fuel cycle.  Recall that somewhere around
the mid 70's when President Jimmy Carter said "Nope" to commercial
reprocessing (Morris, IL facility) even though this is how we get the bomb
plutonium over on the national "defense" side of nuclear.  So.  This is more
or less the origin of the "Nuclear Waste" that forms part of the anti-nuke
kook complaints of "What do we do with all the waste?"  It's a created
problem... Created by politicians seeking re-election not solutions (Plato
would die if he weren't dead already), promoted by the news-media as a
genuine problem because it's their job to create problems, and probably
originating with the coal-oil-gas-transportation complex as a mechanism to
suppress nuclear technology thus maintaining market share and pricing.

As to the actual waste disposal issue, since 1959 the United States has
created something like thirty to forty high-level nuclear waste repositories
annually in the form of underground weapons (Nukes) tests.  They form a very
nice, stable glass globe of varying dimensions up to 1/8 mile diameter and up
to 1/4 mile underground.  More than enough space there for that 7 - 10
percent high-level waste from a reprocessed core.

In my universe there are no technological barriers to the Nuclear Waste
Stream.  The barriers are artificial; created by politicians, promoted by the
Merchants of Chaos (news media) and originating with a divergent business
interest (fossil fuel stream).

Meanwhile the US and other so-called first-world societies are basically
screwing the third world countries (economically) by:
1)  Keeping fossil fuel prices high (costs third world countries more)
because we burn so much of it to make steam
2)  Sucking-up resources (fossil) we don't have to use (we have the
technology of nuclear and can afford it) but that so-called third world
countries could use for their economies because they can't afford nuclear
3)  Stagnating in a logical baseload electrical technological gradient Fossil
to Nuclear to Fusion
4)  Creating these related problems of "Gigatons of CO2" to deal with that
might only be mega-tons if we would just handle our either misled or stupid
politicians a little better and not let them touch anything important or
technical.

In my book, this is the definition of irresponsibility and, in a sense, evil;
ecologically, economically, socially, and technologically.

Geez, I feel better now.

This is all my opinion and my reality and you'd have a hard time swaying me
from it...

Neil Keeney
neilkeeney@aol.com