Re: uranium in drinking water

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Charp, Paul <pac4@cdc.gov>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2000 15:07
Betreff: uranium in drinking water

>We have been involved with this situation for about a week.  The uranium
>data we have received thusfar is that the uranium analysis was performed by
>gamma spec

ok, you corrected it to alpha spectrometry

 with the following results listed as pCi/L:

>U-nat     758 +/- 140  mda 0.8
>U 235    7 +/- 2         mda 0.5
>U 234    512 +/- 95    mda 0.8
>U 238    224 +/- 42    mda 0.7
>
>the total alpha was measured at 882 pCi/L with no indication of the method
>used for this analysis

I recall, that U-238 and U-234 activity concentrations are usually equal. I
can hardly imagine any process that would disturb equilibrium when leaching
the isotopes from the ground rock or soil.

Nevertheless I repeat that I would not use such water as a permanent source
of drinking water. This does not imply that I think that any of the symptoms
described can be attributed to high uranium concentrations - I would rather
accept kidney disorders due to the chemotoxicity of uranium.

Regards,

Franz

>Paul A. Charp, Ph.D.
>Senior Health Physicist
>CDC/ATSDR
>1600 Clifton Rd (E-56)
>Atlanta, GA 30333
>(404)639-6004   fax  6075

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schoenhofer;Franz
FN:Franz Schoenhofer
ORG:Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Department of Radiation Protection
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+43-1-71100-4458
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+43-1-495 53 08
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+43-699-116 813 19
TEL;WORK;FAX:+43-1-7122331
TEL;HOME;FAX:+43-1-495 53 08
ADR;WORK:;;Radetzkystr. 2;A-1031 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Radetzkystr. 2=0D=0AA-1031 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
ADR;HOME:;;Habicherg. 31/7;A-1160 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Habicherg. 31/7=0D=0AA-1160 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:franz.schoenhofer@chello.at
REV:20001010T184632Z
END:VCARD