RE: uranium in drinking water 234/238U ratio

Rodney/Radsafers

It's not at all unusual for natural waters to be enriched in 234U compared
to 238U.  It's due to the increased leachability of the U-234, since it's an
alpha decay product that has been knocked out of its mineral lattice
position by recoil.  The activity ratio in seawater is 1.16.  A ratio of 2.3
does seem to be on the high side of what I've observed, but I'm sure its
within the range of literature values.

This also means that the activity concentration of "natural uranium" of
25.4Bq/mg does not apply in this case.  In fact it's higher, and perhaps the
cause of the apparent discrepancy in mass and activity concentrations.  No
time to work this out now tho'

Personal views only

Regards

keith.bradshaw@nnc.co.uk