Uranium in water by Gamma Spec?

Paul Charp wrote:
>Subject: uranium in drinking water
>We have been involved with this situation for about a week. The uranium
>data we have received thusfar is that the uranium analysis was performed by
>gamma spec with the following results listed as pCi/L:
>U-nat 758 +/- 140 mda 0.8
>U 235 7 +/- 2 mda 0.5
>U 234 512 +/- 95 mda 0.8
>U 238 224 +/- 42 mda 0.7
>the total alpha was measured at 882 pCi/L with no indication of the method
>used for this analysis

I would question the method and accuracy of these "results". I doubt it is physically possible for a gamma spectroscopy system (HPGe) to count a water sample large enough and/or long enough to measure to these reported mda's.  The other thing that jumps out from this data is what gamma is being measured to determine U-234, a pure alpha emitter and no daughter in quick equilibrium?

I would want to see some alpha spectroscopy results to be confident in this data.

Erik C. Nielsen
Radiochemist

Antech Ltd.
c/o Westinghouse Waltz Mill Site