1 rad = 1 rem = 1 roentgen... How is this?

For someone that is not exactly a Health Physics guru, can someone help me
with this?  I read this in a pamphlet, and an trying to figure out the
relationship here:

"For all practical purposes, consider rad, R, and rem to be equal..."

I understand that with a Q factor of 1, a rad and rem are equal.  Can
someone explain to me the relationship with R (roentgen) being equal to a
rad and rem?

Thanks,
Brian Olson
Promega Safety