Re: 1 rad = 1 rem = 1 roentgen... How is this?

   The reference for the roentgen
  definition is taken from J Cork"s book: "Radioactivity and Nuclear
Physics" (1947, Van Nostrand)) p.31.

It is "the amount of radiation that will, on passing through pure air under
standard conditions, produce one electrostatic
unit of ions, of one sign,per cubic centimeter". ( I  have also heard a
definition  which specifies DRY air.). If this is all worked out, together
witjh thefact that it takes -35 eV?- to produce one ion pair, it works out
to about 97 ergs per gram. The definition of the rad (which was done about
the time this book was published, I recall) came from this 97, rounded off
to 100 to stay close to the original. Dosimeters were not all that precise
at the time, anyhow. And then ,of course, the use of Q=! gets you to the rem
At 16:28 10/12/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>For someone that is not exactly a Health Physics guru, can someone help me
>with this?  I read this in a pamphlet, and an trying to figure out the
>relationship here:
>
>"For all practical purposes, consider rad, R, and rem to be equal..."
>
>I understand that with a Q factor of 1, a rad and rem are equal.  Can
>someone explain to me the relationship with R (roentgen) being equal to a
>rad and rem?
>
>Thanks,
>Brian Olson
>Promega Safety
>
>my thoughts only....

H.B. Knowles, PhD, Physics Consulting
4030 Hillcrest Rd, El Sobrante, CA 94803
Phone (510)758-5449
Fax (510) 758-5508
<hbknowles@hbknowles.com>
<www.hbknowles.com>