Thai_Co60_news

http://www.bangkokpost.net/issues/radiation/131000.html

Life still a struggle for leak victims
Residents live amid uncertainty and fear

Anjira Assavanonda

Eight months after the cobalt 60 radiation leak in Samut Prakan, the
residents of Wat Mahawong community still live in fear.
Three people have died, others are still sick and many more are suffering
from the indirect affects of the radiation which leaked from the Somjit
scrap shop.
Vendor Pranee Thongthae, 46, said daily turnover at her food stall has
fallen from 4,000-5,000 baht a day to less than 2,000 baht.
"Children in the neighbourhood used to buy my food every day. After the
leak parents told them to stay away from my shop because they are not sure
if the food is safe," Ms Pranee said.
The Public Health Ministry set up a panel to care for affected residents.
Provincial authorities insist that Wat Mahawong residents receive regular
physical and mental check-ups.
Special care is provided for those living within 50m of the scrap shop.
A counselling team last month visited the community and spoke to more than
230 people about the accident.
"Only two of them were found to be suffering from stress, but that relates
to financial problems rather than the radiation leak," a health official said.
Services seem unable to dispel the worries of simple folk like Ms Pranee.
"Many people said we could get cancer and die in five or 10 years. I don't
know if it's true or not, but we're really scared," she said. "Who doesn't
experience fear if death is coming?"Ms Pranee insisted she and her husband
would not leave the community, where they have spent 26 years.
"We have no other place to go. This is our home, and we have no choice but
to stay," she said.
Beauty salon owner Pattana Thamniyom, 34, spends her days in perpetual
apprehension. She said the tragedy was an unforgettable nightmare.
Ms Pattana was pregnant in February when the leak occurred and opted for an
abortion after being told she had a low white blood-cell count.
Despite regular blood tests, she is not convinced her life is safe.
"Health officials have taken blood samples and told us nothing. They said
they would inform us only if they found something abnormal, but think how
we feel to be left in such uncertainty," she said.
The victims' NGO group arranged chromosome checks for many people,
including Ms Pattana, and some irregularities were detected.
The doctor told Ms Pattana to return for further tests every month but she
could not afford the 1,800 baht fee. "I still don't know what kind of
irregularities they mean. Can I have another baby, or would that endanger
my life?"She is even more worried about her four-year-old daughter. Since
the leak, the girl has been weak and gets colds easily and more often.
Her business has also fallen off.

P. van Rooijen
Manager HSE
AIB-Vinçotte Nederland BV