Sternglass/Gould/Tooth Fairy/NCI "DOE-Watch"--FYI

Radsafe:
For those of you not familiar with it, a posting to an anti-nuclear bulletin
board called DOEWatch is copied below, which includes some comments by Dr.
Sternglass and Jay Gould to a question posed about NCI having found no
increase in cancer rates around nuclear reactors. The comment by Gould makes
reference to an article about the Tooth Fairy Project which I have not yet
looked at which was Gould  states published by Johns Hopkins University.
Worth looking at. I noted in looking at the DOEWatch site that Norman Cohen,
who had posed so many "questions" to radsafe a while back,  was a frequent
poster to DOEWatch and made a number of posts about goading the Radsafers.

As the old saw says: "know your enemies".

The distribution for this post also gives the email address for a number of
individual environment/nuclear staff media contacts [NY Times,  Tennessean, &
others] that may be of interest to some.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
email: radiumproj@cs.com
==================
In a message dated 10/15/00 9:30:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
smirnowb@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Subj:  [DOEWatch] REPLYS FROM DR STERNGLASS & DR GOULD RE National Cancer
> Institute STUDY OF CANCERS AROUND REACTORS
>  Date:    10/15/00 9:30:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>  From:    smirnowb@ix.netcom.com (Bill Smirnow)
>  To:  Nucnews@egroups.com (Nucnews List), nukenet@envirolink.org (Nukenet),
> downwinders@egroups.com (Downwinders List), doewatch@egroups.com (DOE-Watch
> List), Abolition-Caucus@egroups.com (Abolition-Caucus)
>  CC:  sthomas@usnews.com (Media/US News & World Report), lschuster@upi.com (
> Media/UPI), annem@progressive.org (Media/The Progressive), sbegle@nwnet.
> newsweek.com (Media/Newsweek), manning@lasvegassun.com (Media/Mary Manning/
> Las Vegas Sun), lfrank@tennessean.com (Media/Luara Frank/ Tennessean), oped@
> csps.com (Media/Christian Science Monitor), Mattwald@nytimes.com (Matt
Media/

(jbbrown@gate.net)
>  or
>  > any internet book site.
>  >
>  > Ernest J. Sternglass
>  > mssejs@aol.com
>

>      Dr. Jay  Gould wrote:
>
>      > please refer to Appendix D of the Rphp publication of The Enemy
>  Within:
>  the
>  > High Cost of living Near Nuclear Reactors for a demonstration of the
>  > dishonesty of the NCI and the infamous Jablon report that with their
>  bizarre
>  > methodology no one could find evidence of harm because they compared each
>  > county in which a reactor was placed with a "control" county near another
>  > reactor assuming that emissions would not ever cross county boundaries.
>  > Also, Bill why dont you tell those on your valuable list serve about our
>  web
>  > site www.radiation.org which now carries the definitive article published
>  by
>  > the Johns Hopkins Shool of Public Health on the results of our Tooth
Fairy
>  > Project----Jay M Gould
>

>     Bill Smirnow wrote:
>
>        >  Does anyone have data as to just how NCI is funded? NCI's
statement
>  >&
>  >NRC's acceptance thereof is an obvious murderous lie being perpetrated
>  >on
>  >the public. http://www.geocities.com/mothersalert/infant.html
>  >
>  >They make no comment on the 10 DOE sites that NCI looked at & any
>  >cancer
>  >rates from "low-level" radiation. What do we make from this no comment
>  >policy re DOE sites?
>  >
>  > -Bill Smirnow
>  >
>  >
>  >    Additionally, the National Cancer Institute, at the request of
>  >Congress,
>  >conducted a study1 of 52 nuclear power stations and 10 Department of
>  >Energy
>  >facilities.  The study concluded that there was no increase in cancers
>  >in
>  >the communities surrounding the nuclear power plants.
>  >
>  >
>  >

It