Anti-nuclear sentiment

Below is an example of the anti-nuclear sentiment out there. How do you
even begin to respond to this? It obviously doesn't go away when you ignore
it...sticking to logical argument or invoking sound scientific principles
appears to be ineffective...public/secondary education programs apparently
are a dismal failure...

"Do not trust to the cheering, for those persons would shout as much as if
you and I were going to be hanged" Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658)

Cromwell had to be a nuclear engineer...

A search on nuclear issues dredged up this letter from Michael Mariotte,
Executive Director Nuclear Information and Resource Service, found at:

http://www.nirs.org/NuclearCDMSign-onletter.htm

The letter is in reference to the climate talks in Lyon.

Some points made include-

>Nuclear power pollutes the environment with long-lived radionuclides from
routine releases through normal operations and creates large quantities of
radioactive waste.

>All nuclear power plants are vulnerable to serious accidents that could
contaminate the environment and cause serious health impacts. Last year's
accident at Tokaimura in Japan was just the latest to underline the dangers
of nuclear technology.

>Nuclear power is a world security risk adding to the threat of nuclear
proliferation. A 1000-megawatt reactor produces 40 bombs worth of plutonium
per year.

>The nuclear fuel chain does emit significant greenhouse gases.

>Nuclear power is the most expensive of all conventional energy sources and
more expensive than almost all renewable energy. As proof of nuclear
power's economic failure, no successful nuclear power reactor order has
been placed in the U.S. since 1973.

DJWhitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or
positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.