Gore - Bush On Nuclear Power

I received the following as an attachment.  The individual reportedly took
the story from the Boston Globe.  It did have the Boston Globe header and
logo on it.  I tried briefly to locate the story on the Globe web site but
didn't find it.  But since people were asking how the candidates felt about
nuclear power this article seems to answer those questions.

(I didn't want to try to send an attachment so I am cutting and pasting.  If
anyone wants the attachment as I originally received it they can send the
request to my e-mail address - please don't use RadSafe to ask.)

Candidates on the issues: Nuclear Energy

By Associated Press, 10/16/2000 01:17

Three days a week, The Associated Press picks an issue and asks the leading
presidential candidates a question about it. Today's question and the

Nuclear Energy

Should the United States increase its use of nuclear power as part of a
strategy to come closer to energy independence?

Republican George W. Bush: ''Nuclear power plays an important role in
meeting the energy needs of the New Economy, supplying over 20 percent of
electricity consumed. As part of my energy policy, I have proposed
clarifying IRS rules to make it easier for companies that specialize in
operating nuclear power plants to purchase them from companies that do not.
My overall energy policy also includes using diplomatic leverage, working
with our allies, OPEC, and other oil-producing countries to ensure greater
stability in world oil markets. I will also encourage greater exploration at
home including opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge up to
environmentally responsible exploration. We must also develop our natural
gas resources, which are clean-burning and hemispheric in nature, not
subject to whims of OPEC. I will also promote renewable sources of energy as
part of my agenda because the New Economy is very electric-intensive the
amount of computers, printers, Web servers, and telecommunications equipment
has grown rapidly over the past few years.''

Democrat Al Gore: ''I strongly believe we need to take measures to increase
our nation's energy security and decrease our dependence on unreliable
foreign sources of oil. However, I do not support an increased reliance on
nuclear power. In order to achieve sound economic and environmental goals, I
believe that we must increase renewable energy sources and environmentally
sound domestic energy production and develop new energy-saving technologies,
while reducing our reliance on imported energy. Through the power of free
markets and American ingenuity, my plan will dramatically reduce pollution
and enhance our energy security - and create more jobs in the process.''