Fwd: Action Alert! Fax these retailers and tell them you will not buy irradiated food!

The following email was sent out to several anti-nuclear email lists.  I thought some of you would be interested in sending your own faxes.

Mike ... mcbaker@lanl.gov

   Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:06:13 -0400
   From: "Noel Petrie" <npetrie@citizen.org>
Subject: Action Alert! Fax these retailers and tell them you will not buy irradiated food!

Action Alert! Fax these retailers and tell them you will not buy irradiated food!

http://www.citizen.org/cmep/rad-food/takeaction/radfoodfax.htm

While the sale of irradiated beef was in February 2000, other irradiated foods have been legally sold in the U.S. since 1983. The sale of irradiated spices and seasons were legalized in that year. Irradiated pork followed in 1985 and the irradiation of fruits, vegetables and fungus (mushrooms) became legal in 1986. A significant portion of our diet can now be irradiated, even though the studies that FDA relied upon to allow this process did not even meet the agency's own scientific standards.

These foods, when sold individually must be labeled "treated with [or by] irradiation" and accompanied by the radura.  Conversely, when these foods are mixed in to a fruit cup, for example, the fruit cup does not need to bear the label. Unfortunately, we may never know what foods we're eating contains irradiated items.

But we can stop the sale of irradiated foods with your help.

Please use our website to fax the CEOs of Philip Morris (which owns Kraft Foods, Boca Burger, and Miller Brewing Company), Kraft, Del Monte, Wal-Mart, Tysons Foods.

Tell the CEOs of these companies you are concerned about irradiation and request that they refrain from selling irradiated foods.

http://www.citizen.org/cmep/rad-food/takeaction/radfoodfax.htm