Re: Power Plant Pollution Linked to 30,000 Premature DeathsEach Year

the numbers that are quoted are risk estimates based on very conservative models and assumptions.  if all of these numbers were true, we'd be tripping over bodies on our way to the grocery store!  Its unfortunate when  the media and others get ahold of these numbers and interpret them as actual fact, without discussing the assumptions, the models and the methods used.

Patricia A Milligan, CHP
pxm@nrc.gov
301-415-2223

>>> ruth_weiner@email.msn.com 10/19 9:44 AM >>>
This is another one of those "links" that defies common sense (see Biwer and
Butler, RISK ANALYSIS, 1999, p1159, that claimns 27000 deaths per year in
the U. S. SOLELY from breathing diesel exhaust and fugitive road dust).  If
the diesel exhaust claim were true, the city of Athens, Greece would be
completely depopulated.  If the cited deaths from power plant emissions were
real, how did we ever survive BEFORE air pollution control, let alone
survive in good health?  My husband and I grew up in Pittsburgh and
Baltimore, respectively, in the 1940s and 1950s.  Both cities had heavily
polluted air, from steel mills, uncontrolled municipal incinerators, diesel
buses, etc. -- they were much more polluted than they are now.  If we
extrapolate these claims of deaths, to those conditions, there would have
been significant mortality, and the Donora, PA incident of 1948 would not
have been cited as unusual.

The conclusions of these studies are based on linear extrapolations, and I
question also the correlations they make.

Lest someone misunderstands: I am not promoting air pollution as a good
thing.  Quite the contrary -- it should be controlled as much as reasonably
possible.  But just because it's nasty, unpleasant, dirty, etc. doesn't make
it the sort of killer that it is purported to be.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com