Re: Power Plant Pollution Linked to 30,000 Premature Deaths

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Patricia Milligan wrote:

> the numbers that are quoted are risk estimates based on very
 conservative models and assumptions.  if all of these numbers
 were true, we'd be tripping over bodies on our way to the
 grocery store!

	--People who die from air pollution do not die while shopping for
groceries. Respiratory, cardiovascular, and other systems in our bodies
are weakened by years of exposure to air pollution, causing death to
elderly people a few years prematurely. If you want to know where the dead
bodies are, conside the 6000 people who die every day in the U.S.--
several percent of these die prematurely because of air polltion.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260