Re: Power Plant Pollution Linked to 30,000 Premature Deaths Each Year

I don't know where the 23 comes from, but here is a citable source and some
numbers:

from the DEIS for Yucca Mountain (DOE/EIS-1250D), Appendix J, table J-48.

Collective dose to the public from incident-free transportation of ALL
shipments by mostly truck to Yucca Mountain, over a 24 year period

35000 person-rem, which using the LNT theory estimates 17 "latent cancer
fatalities" (LCF).

For mostly rail transportation (fewer shipments) this reduces to about 2
LCFs.

Projected LCFs from releases during accidents are much less.

I hasten to point out that the assumptions that go into these estimates are
enormously conservative, and err always on the side of over-estimating
health effects and radiation dose.  And the LNT theory is always used.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com