Re: Exploranium GR-130

At the Washington Hospital Center we have two GR-130 miniSpecs.  We have had one
for almost two years.  It has had considerable abuse from users.  It is used
primarily for qualitative analysis of radioactive medical waste coming from the
hospital clinics.  We dropped one about ten feet on a concrete surface and the
only damage was a connector disconnect.  It is very useful for identification of
radionuclides but is limited in resolution.  If you get the medical version you
get a little better resolution at the lower energy scale.  You can't effectively
do quantitative measurements--no reproducible source configuration- unless you
want to set up a test rig.  Most hospitals don't have the resources to do that.
We did not need quantitation anyway.  One problem we had was calibration.  You
have to send the instrument to Canada.  That means custom declaration etc.
Usually fairly long delay (two to three weeks).  We purchased a second unit so
that we would have an operational instrument while one was out for
calibration/repair.  David Nice, the US representative for Exploranium has been
super about having the instrument sent to him in Atlanta and he then forwards it
to Canada for calibration.  That avoids the customs paperwork for us. (David.
If you are reading this I hope I didn't put you on the spot).  I repeat.  The
GR-130 is a rugged, reliable, easy to use, field spectrometer.  It is not a
laboratory device.  It is not quantitative but you can get pretty good
quantitative data if you train your techs on its proper use.  Overall, we have
been satisfied with the unit.  This is not an endorsement but an objective
appraisal ( at least, I don't have stock in Exploranium and I don't get a free
lunch for my appraisal).  If anyone wants additional information feel free to
call me or email me and I will be happy to supply it.

Bill Bass
Radiation Safety Department
Washington Hospital Center
Washington, DC  20010