Re: Exploranium GR-130

Inspectors of the Dutch Ministry of Environment use the Exploranium GR-130
during their picket service, when they are called in for
1. findings of radioactive material in scrap metal (several times a week)
2. accidents with (sometimes first unknown) radioactive material
to determine which nuclides they are dealing with.
Some weeks ago I saw its use for the first time. I was not impressed, as we
were dealing with instruments with radium paint and the GR-130 also
identified Co-60 peaks (which we found weird, and our measurements
afterwards proved us right). But this is only my personal experience of one
case of practical application of the GR-130. As a no-user, I can not give
you really valuable information on its usefullness in practice.

Right now we are in the process of determining whether the GR-130 is handy
for us too (we have a mobile laboratory in which we can do nuclide
specifications). We do use the GR-110 as one of our detectors, especially
for contamination screenings of buildings or areas before they get another
user or are being sold.

Jetty.

mrs. ing. Jetty Middelkoop
Head of the Radiological Protection Service
Netherlands Ministry of Defence
Nieuwe Weteringseweg 229
Postbox 382
3720 AJ  Bilthoven