Re: Cheney on Yucca Mountain

>the Las Vegas, NV, daily paper last Wednesday quoted Dick Cheney as saying
that a George W. Bush administration would veto Yucca Mountain.

Candidates for any office in the Vegas area all seem to be anxious to make
everyone aware that they are opposed to nuclear waste in their back yard. As
a new resident I can't offer an assessment of trends, but it looks like
failure to openly oppose Yucca Mountain in this year's election is too risky
for any politician. Hence, in an effort to get votes here, both Presidential
campaigns are claiming they oppose approval (there seems to be some
weasal-wording that suggests to me that they are aiming their promises at the
Yucca Mtn approval question as it sits today, and don't want to be bound to
the veto idea permanently).