Kursk & other nuclear submarines: Is Np 237 a real risk?

Quite surprising to find the speculative words (prof. emeritus Thomas
Pigford at UC Berkeley) about Np 237 in the following article (Nov., page
14, Scientific American). Np-237 should to some extent be trapped in
sediments and also in parts of animals that we don't eat (skeleton or
shells). With a half life of 2.1 million years I ask what a reasonable
dose-rate could be ("worst case scenario") to a "person" living a million
years from now. Can't be much - or am I all wrong? (could a jellybean
possibly be more dangerous?)

http://www.sciam.com/2000/1100issue/1100scicit2.html

It would be interested to hear your comments - in particular from those
working with radioecology etc.

My relections only,

Bjorn Cedervall      bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/