Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:08:14 -0500
From: "Jim Hardeman"
Subject: Radiation Pager

I spoke to Mr. John Warren, the president of the Sensor Technology
Engineering, Inc., the manufacturer of the Radiation PagerŪ,  and he's
going to be sending you some info that you can forward to the CRCPD G-2
Committee. He will be putting a brochure, a technical paper and an
operations manual into "snail mail" to you tomorrow.

I spoke with Mr. Warren at some length, and he provided me with the
following information:

The Radiation PagerŪ is essentially a Ludlum Model 12S or Model 19 micro-R
meter in a different form factor ... in effect a micro-R meter than you
wear on your hip instead of holding in your hand. Instead of a NaI detector
used in the Ludlum Model 12S or Model 19, the Radiation PagerŪ uses a 0.5"
diameter x 1.5" long CsI detector (about twice the density of NaI). Mr.
Warren cited a sensitivity of 2.2 cps per micro-R per hour (assuming Cs-137
gammas). The "pager" indication is a number from 1 to 10 ... with 10
corresponding to approximately 3.8 mR/hr (again assuming Cs-137) ... and
each lower number corresponding to half the count rate (i.e. 9 is
approximately 1.9 mR/hr, 8 is approximately 0.95 mR/hr, and so on). It is
NOT an electronic personnel dosimeter ... nor is it designed to be a health
physics instrument. It is to be used to indicate the presence of, and
locate, sources of gamma radiation.

Mr. Warren also told me that they are now marketing a higher range (and
more sophisticated) model, the Radiation PagerŪ S, which tops out between
12 and 14 mR/hr (again assuming Cs-137).

According to Mr. Warren, the Radiation PagerŪ lists for about $1,500 each,
and the Radiation PagerŪ S lists for about $2,200 each.

Contact information, should you need it, is:

Sensor Technology Engineering, Inc.
5553 Hollister Avenue, #1
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
Voice: 805-964-9507
Fax: 805-964-2772
E-mail: sb_sensor_tech@msn.com

I hope this information helps.

Jim

>>> Moshe Keren@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu 10/30/2000 6:18:24 >>>
Hello Radsafers,
1.I am looking for information on the Radiation Pager of Sensor Technology
Engineering, Inc., Santa Barbara. I need e-mail or fax. If there is
experience, please inform.
2. A friend  told me that years ago he read information on a needle like
sensor for detecting radioactive materials in open wounds. Can someone be
kind and update ?
Best Regards
Moshe Keren