Reactor cancer risk 'downplayed'
Date: 31/10/2000

By ANDREW CLENNELL in Canberra

The worst possible accident at the new nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights
could give tens of thousands of people cancer - a worst case scenario not
taken into account by the environmental impact statement on the project, a
United States nuclear expert has told a Senate inquiry.

Mr Daniel Hirsch, a former member of a US nuclear regulatory commission
advisory panel and a former director of the nuclear policy program at the
University of California, says the EIS claimed the most "credible serious
accident" would release one millionth of the radioactivity of the core of
the reactor, when most major accidents released several per cent.

Mr Hirsch said the EIS was seriously at fault and he had received dismissive
treatment from the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
(ANSTO) when pointing this out.

"I was frankly quite astonished when I read it first of all - the review was
performed before there was even a design for the reactor," Mr Hirsch said
yesterday.

He said the EIS had considered as "not credible" a situation in which
coolant (or water) would be lost in which fuel rods were contained.

But this scenario - possible through an earthquake or incompetence by a
worker - had led to at least "half a dozen" reactor accidents around the
world, he said.

Mr Hirsch was invited to Australia by Sutherland Shire Council to give
evidence yesterday.

He had given a submission along the lines of his claims in 1998 but said
yesterday it had been treated with disdain by ANSTO, which is in charge of
the project.

"They simply said 'these accidents can't happen - we promise we will design
this reactor so it will not'," he said.

He called for what was commonplace in the United States - that there be an
open judicial inquiry into the reactor before it went ahead.

The chief executive of the Australian Radiation and Nuclear Protection
Safety Agency, Mr John Loy, said yesterday his organisation had noted Mr
Hirsch's position but that it might be that he was looking at a scenario so
unlikely as to not be worth taking into account.

But Mr Loy said in the licensing process ANSTO would have to "strongly
demonstrate" there was no possibility of the coolant leaking.

ANSTO said in a statement the issues had already been examined and

"Mr Hirsch is raking over issues dealt with two years ago". It said that in
the "improbable event of an accident, community impacts would be
negligible".

*********IMPORTANT NOTICE**********

The information contained within this e-mail message should be considered
as confidential and/or privileged.  It is intended solely for use by the
addressee named above.

If you have received this message in error you are hereby notified that you
must not copy, duplicate, forward, print or otherwise disseminate any
information contained within this E-Mail.  Please ensure that this e-mail
is deleted and please send a message to the postmaster at the
Illawarra Area Health Service via mailto:

POSTMASTER@iahs.nsw.gov.au.

This message has been scanned for Viruses!!