RE: Copper Tubing on the Intake of CAMs

At 12:00 PM 10/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
>I would use as small a diameter as would be compatible with the sampling
>device to minimize particle fallout in the intake lines.

Dan,
If you went with smaller tubes you might actually increase the particle
loss.  Particle loss occurs through several mechanisms and include
impaction (i.e., in bends), gravitational settling, and diffusion (either
turbulent or molecular).  Studies have shown that particle loss in a tube
is nonlinearly related to the particle aerodynamic size and the Reynolds
number which is a function of properties of the air (density and
viscosity), air velocity, and tube diameter.  These studies showed that
there is a optimal tube diameter for a given airflow velocity in the tube
that will provide for minimal particle loss.  There are a number of other
factors to consider when trying to predict or minimize particle loss and
others have commented on these.  Some useful references are listed below as
a starting point for those interested.

Strom, L.  Transmission efficiency of aerosol sampling lines.  Atmos. Env.
6:133-142, 1972

Wong, F.S.; McFarland, A.R.; Anand, N.K.  An experimental study of aerosol
penetration through horizontal tubes and Strom-type loops.  Health
Physics.  71:886-895, 1996.

Alvarez, J.L.; Novick, V.J.; Ritter, P.D. Particle transport efficiency of
sampling lines: theory and practical experience with sample-line
loss.  (sorry, I have the paper but not the full reference).

Jeff Whicker

Jeff Whicker

Los Alamos National Laboratory
Mail Stop G761