dose rates

More thinking out loud...

In most cases, particularly outdoors, the radium is volumetrically
distributed in the rocks and soils.  In this case, the plane source
approximation is probably most appropriate, and I would think you could
develop an effective radius based on the distance at which Ra-226 (and
progeny) gammas will deliver a measurable dose.  This is described somewhat
in Eisenbud and Gesell and in considerably more detail in excellent papers
by Kocher & Sjoreen as well as (much earlier) by Beck & DePlanque.  The
highest dose rate I noticed at a meter above the ground was about 1 mr/hr,
and the highest recorded was about 2.8 mr/hr (11 and 28 uGy/hr,
respectively).

Also, I should note that Ted de Castro was kind enough to remind me that
readings taken "on contact" are, in and of themselves, difficult to
interpret because of calibration, geometry, and other concerns.  At the very
least, you get into the whole mess of what distance to assign to an "on
contact" reading.  So, from this perspective, dose rates at 10 cm, 30 cm, 1
m, or other discrete distances are more appropriate to report.

Sincerely,

Andy

Andrew Karam, CHP                (716) 275-1473 (voice)
Radiation Safety Officer            (716) 273-2236 (fax)
University of Rochester
601 Elmwood Ave. Box HPH     Rochester, NY  14642

Andrew_Karam@URMC.Rochester.edu

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.  Insensibly one
begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
(A Scandal in Bohemia, Arthur Conan Doyle)