Re: maps

A document of note is ORNL/TM-7343 ( State Background Radiation Levels:
Results of Measurements Taken During 1975-1979, by Myrick, Berven, and
Haywood). *From* the abstract=>

"...These measurements have been conducted as part of the ORNL program of
radiological surveillance at inactive uranium mills and sites formerly
utilized during Manhattan Engineer District and early Atomic Energy
Commission projects. The measurements included determination of 226Ra,
232Th, and 238U concentrations in surface soil samples and measurement of
external gamma-ray exposure rates at 1 m above the ground surface at the
location of soil sampling. This information is being utilized for
comparative purposes to determine the extent of contamination present at
the survey sites and surrounding off-site areas.

The sampling program to date has provided background information at 356
locations in 33 states. External gamma-ray exposure rates were found to
range from less than 1 to 36 uR/h (*note* micro-R), with an U.S. average of
8.5 uR/h. The nationwide average concentrations of 226Ra, 232Th, and 238U
in surface soil were determined to be 1.1, 0.98, and 1.0 pCi/g,
respectively."

                    "Steven H. Allen"
                    <shallen@aeil.com>        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    Sent by:                  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        cc:
                    s.uiuc.edu                Subject:     Re: maps

                    11/03/00 10:26 AM
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

--------------FE4750922E531B2B513DEAE7

Was it http://sedwww.cr.usgs.gov:8080/radon/DDS-9.html?

Philip Hypes wrote:

> Radsafers,
>
> I have tried the archives to find this, but they don't seem to want to
> cooperate with me...
>
> In one of the classes I've taken here and there, I remember seeing a map
of
> background exposure levels across the US that corresponded well with a
> similiar altitude map.  Anyone know where I could find such a map?  I've
> tried general web searches as well, with no success.
>
> Please reply directly to phypes@lanl.gov
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil
> Philip Hypes
> Los Alamos National Laboratory
> Safeguards Science and Technology Group (NIS 5)
> (505) 667-1556  phypes@lanl.gov
>
> Opinions expressed are purely my own unless otherwise noted

--------------FE4750922E531B2B513DEAE7

begin:vcard
n:Allen;Steven H.
tel;fax:(713) 790-0542
tel;work:(713) 790-9719
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.aeil.com
org:Atomic Energy Industrial Labs
adr:;;9261 Kirby Drive;Houston;Texas;77054;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:shallen@aeil.com
title:Manager
fn:Steven H. Allen