RE: cherenkov radiation

Brian and others,

I agree about the cameras, we had the same problem at our fast burst reactor
at Sandia.  However, there are easier ways to check.  A large Co-60 source
will glow nicely in water from the same phenomenon, but I don't believe that
there is anything observed in air.

On the other hand, I have personally seen a blue glow from high energy, high
intensity pulsed electron beams in air (10 MeV and 10 kA are the numbers I
recall) when we fired an electron accelerator outdoors after dark.  (No, the
beam was not directed into our eyes, and yes, we were a safe distance away
:-) We also captured it on polaroid film.  It was sort of like a faint
lightning bolt, and clearly followed the path of the beam.

Interesting, thought.  As long as I have been hearing these discussions, I
had never put the two experiences together.  Perhaps there is something to
the claims after all.

As you stated, when you throw out E16 - E17 neutrons (and all the associated
photons and electrons) much of what you expect does not apply.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
Defense Programs

what few thoughts i have are  truly my own ...