RE: blue flash and criticality

>My question now is, IF, you had a camera, and the source of criticality
>was shielded from the camera's angle, in other words that the source was
>going away from the camera instead of at it, and you you were able to
>establish the original spectrum from long distance face on photography,
>would it be red shifted going away?

....from my limited understanding of Cherenkov radiation I believe the
answer to your question to be..No.  Cherenkov light is not the result of a
doppler shift in the emitted light of the particle as your question
infers.  It is a Secondary result of the phenomenon associated with the
speed of the particles in the given medium, with a characteristic
wavelength.  I like the analogy of the sonic boom.... though I'm not sure I
could explain the phenomenology associated with it.

Regards,
Dave Brown
david.brown@nist.gov

****the contents of this message have not been reviewed or endorsed by my