RE: blue flash and criticality

Here is the basics of Cerenkov light (from R.D. Evans The Atomic Nucleus,
1982):

Cerenkov radiation is produced by charged particles.  The threshold for
emission of Cerenkov radiation is the phase velocity of light in the medium
through which the charged particle travels (c/n, where n = refractive
index).  As I indicated in a previous posting, this is 240 keV in water and
21 MeV in air, for electrons.  At these kinetic energies, the particles are
relativistic (beta = V/c ~ 1.0).  A charged particle, such as an electron,
may clearly achieve a kinetic energy in excess of these limits, either
naturally or with human assistance.

The electromagnetic field of a charged particle will distort the electronic
structure of an atom.  As a result of the atom relaxing back to its
unstimulated state, light is emitted.  At velocities below the Cerenokov
threshold (beta*n <1), complete distructive interference occurs and no
light is visible beyond the immediate vacinity of the affected atom.

Above the Cerenkov threshold (beta*n >1), constructive interference occurs.
 This results in light being propogated in the forward direction (along the
axis of travel of the electron). The angle of emission is dependent upon
particle velocity and refractive index.

The quantum yield is only dependent on the charge and velocity of the
particle and the refractive index of the medium.  It is not dependent on
the particle's mass.  The intensity is inversely proportional to the
wavelenth, so short wavelenght light is preferred.  This accounts for the
bluish-white appearance.

Thomas L. Morgan, Ph.D.
Director, Health Physics
Radiation Safety Officer