Re: Deaths from fossil fuel burning air pollution

Sorry -- I still do not find this credible.  Approximately 40,000 people die
each year in the U. S. in traffic accidents, which is a very credible number
because I read about such accidents certainly a couple of times a month or
more, and that coincides pretty well with the accident frequency.  That is,
40,000 per year in the U. S. would mean about 70 per year in a community of
half a million (such as where I live).  Correcting for the higher frequency
in urban areas, that's about 100 per year here, or about 8 per month, on the
average.  The "80,000 per year" statistic would indicate that about 200
people would die each year (about 18 per month)ONLY from breathing air
pollutants.  Moreover, that number should have been much larger before 1980.
It should be much much larger in Athens or Mexico City.

I believe (Harvard notwithstanding) that such "prospective" studies simply
have too many confounding factors to isolate the effect of a single,
diffuse, rather vague factor like air pollution, or even particulate matter.

No this is not an argument either against nukes or "for" coal burning plants
or "for" dirty air.  We just have to do better than competing scare stories
about pollutants.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com