Re: Radioactive "seed" treatment no threat I-125 only??

Radsafe:

Just to clarify that indeed I-125 is not the only seed used in brachytherapy
for prostate cancer. Pd-103 seeds have been used for treating prostate cancer
for many years, and are now being used and researched for a number of other
brachytherapy applications including liver cancer.  For example, there is an
Atlanta based company, Theragenics [TGX  - NYSE ]  which is producing and
marketing Pd-103 seeds for medical use. I believe there are other companies
making Pd-103 as well. The Theragenics website is:

http://www.theragenics.com

Theragenics has about 160 employees and has just added additional cyclotrons
for Pd-103 production. A description of their product follows:

"Theragenics develops and manufactures therapeutic radiological devices used
to treat cancer. The company's products are used in brachytherapy, in which a
physician introduces short-range, short-lived radioactive material directly
into cancerous tissues, thereby concentrating the impact of the radiation on
the tissue to be destroyed while limiting the effect on surrounding healthy
tissues. The company's TheraSeed product is a radioactive implant used to
treat localized tumors. Its TheraSphere product is used to treat liver
cancer. Theragenics's products are most effective on encapsulated, confined
tumors."

Recent mid to long term [I recollect 8 years after treatment] studies have
shown Pd-103 seeds to be very effective in treating prostate cancer without
the negative side effects of surgery or external radiation therapy.

Having had two relatives who were treated recently for prostate cancer by
surgery, and knowing of the significant complications resulting, I would
consider seed treatment the method of choice if at all appropriate for the
stage of prostate cancer being treated. Treatment with Pd-103 is an
outpatient procedure that allows the individual to avoid hospitalization,
risks of surgery, and a relatively long period of recuperation and side
effects on sexual and urinary function commonly present with surgery.

It seems that many physicians have a very strong bias against brachytherarpy
prostate treatment. In the case of both my relatives who were treated in the
past year, the physicians being consulted gave erroneous information about
the supposed shortcomings of seed therapy vs. their recommending surgery.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, VT 05674