RE: Personal Contamination Goals

Try calling your neighborhood nuclear power plant.  Each plant already has
some form of metric in these areas for INPO.  You might include a risk
factor for contaminations as well.  For instance, on a good day of steam
generator work at a PWR, a couple of guys will have a few dpm on them and
that is not unreasonable for the work they are performing; however, if it is
a clean-area contamination or if the job is low-risk, then the contamination
may be significant and should count against your performance metric.
Situations for high-risk work usually don't count against the contamination
metric unless the contamination is significant or a rad worker performance
issue.

Many utilities also don't count contaminations on modesty garments as well.
Often times, workers just wearing protective clothing without really working
in a contaminated area will have low levels of contaminants on their modesty
garments.  Such a case wouldn't count against the contamination metric.

Once again, call around and you'll find a bit of variance, but all of the
programs should be somewhat similar for personnel contamination metrics.
I'm sure someone already has some Microsoft Access dB for tracking such
metrics that you could probably use.

As far as rad material controls, a goal of zero events should be reasonable,
but some plants might set a goal at one just to insulate themselves from the
one odd ball event that might occur every other year.  This metric is
totally dependent on the type of facility you have, the free-release program
requirements, experience of rad workers, etc.   If you have recently
implemented a gamma sensitive tool monitor, you will find material that has
been released with a GM frisker that will alarm the tool monitor.  These
cases do not generally count against a metric, but are most certainly
documented in the corrective actions program.

At a minimum, make sure your goals are near the mean value of similar
facilities.  This would be a good first stab at the cost/benefit analysis as
to where to set the goal level.

Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@exeloncorp.com

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corp. proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright
belonging to the  Exelon Corp. family of Companies.  This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and
any copy of this E-mail and any printout.  Thank You.